Cheesy Vegan Spinach Tofu Quiche
Summer is here and the weather is perfect for outdoor picnics. If you happen to be invited to a barbeque, bring a quiche (vegan--of course! the real deal). A non-dairy spinach tofu quiche is not only full of vitamins, calcium, iron, and protein, it is also incredibly heart-healthy: no undesirable LDL cholesterol and low in fat and calories. Top this quiche with our Parma Zaan Sprinkles for a delicious, nutritious, and very ‘cheesy’ quiche that’s sure to draw your friends back for a second serving.
Use organic ingredients wherever possible for the freshest taste.
- One package of medium firm or firm tofu
- 3 cups of spinach (more if you want extra spinach flavor)
- 2 cups of Whole wheat pastry flour (all-purpose flour would work, too)
- 5 Tbsp of vegetable oil
- Filtered water
- 1 Tbsp of Golden Broth Seasoning
- 2 Tbsp of Parma Zaan Sprinkles (and more for sprinkling on top)
- 1-2 tsp of Pepper-Like Seasoning (optional, to taste)
(A blender would work best to make this spinach vegan tofu quiche)
Preheat oven to 425 F.
To make the non-dairy spinach tofu quiche:
- Put two cups of pastry flour in a large bowl with half a tablespoon of our Golden Broth Seasoning and mix thoroughly. Add in vegetable oil* and gradually add in filtered water, two tablespoon at a time. Mix together with a fork and then knead until you get a round pie dough. The final product shouldn’t be too sticky** or you’ve added too much water (in which case, add 1-2 tablespoon of flour).
*Specialty oil like garlic oil can give the crust extra flavor
**If you want a crunchy crust, add less water and mix until the flour mixture resembles a loose cookie dough.
- Wash and rinse spinach and boil it in a medium pan for 1 minute. Alternatively, you can cover the rinsed spinach in hot water and wait until the spinach is soft.
- For the vegan tofu quiche filling base, drain and rinse packaged tofu and put into a blender. Add in two tablespoon filtered water, the other half tablespoon of the Golden Broth Seasoning, and two tablespoon Parma Zaan Sprinkles and blend on low for 1-2 minutes. The base filling should be smooth and creamy. (Note: You can mix all this together by hand if you don’t have a blender.)
Pour this filling into a bowl and hand mix in the softened spinach.
- Put the quiche dough into a round non-stick/pre-oiled baking pan and flatten into crust shape, about one centimeter thick. Pour in the vegan tofu quiche mixture.
Bake the vegan spinach tofu quiche in oven for 25 minutes. Poke a fork through the crust and it should come out clean. Sprinkle on some Parma Zaan Sprinkles and Pepper-Like Seasoning and let the vegan quiche cool for about 10-15 minutes. Serve while warm and store leftovers in a covered container in the fridge. Consume within 2-3 days.
Hope you and your guests enjoy this delicious, vegan quiche! Happy summer!